My Blog List

Wednesday 14 May 2014

Summer plumage


Some work fell through this week so I've found myself with a couple of quiet days. It's lovely! I've just done a bit of spring cleaning, changed the winter blankets for crochet ones, and installed my new H&M green block print cushion covers (see background above). I picked flowers from the garden (and still have some left!).



Over the last few weeks, I've also been working on a new patchwork quilt. This time, the colour palette is pink and green. I started with triangles but they proved a bit tricky, so I've gone back to my comfort zone and it'll be another squares quilt with a triangle trim. This quilt will be used for the sofa above, so it's not going to be as huge as the last one I made.



I'm really enjoying sewing again. It's so calming. Although my quilts are random, I like sorting out the colours, placing the different squares together, moving them around. It's like therapy. With the triangles, it was great to be able to use up some tiny scraps of favourite fabric, some of which I've had for years. 



GCSEs are underway for my son, and the house is quiet, so it's the ideal way to spend a few hours in the evening. I've concluded that GCSEs are much more stressful than they used to be, yes, even despite the fact that students do some coursework alongside exam papers. When I took my exams, I did so safe in the knowledge that I could stay on in the sixth form at my own school. I didn't have to get an A or A* in order to carry on studying a particular subject, I could choose exactly  the ones I wanted to do and chase my 16 year olds dreams. In fact, I remember that I didn't get a high grade in my art GCSE, but I went on to take an A level which was one of the most enjoyable and valuable things I have ever done. Every day I am thankful that I did that art A level, and learnt the rudiments of printing, sketching, painting and drawing. Now it seems you have to 'qualify' to stay in your own sixth form, even if it is a non selective comprehensive school. The pressure this adds to a stressful time is immense. I won't rant any more, because this isn't the place, but I'd like to. League tables are to blame, I think. That's enough of that. Breathe...and quilt.



Seeing the quilts at Green Knowe was definitely an inspiration (see last post).



Birthday cards from my boys. It was the first year that eldest has sent me a card by post. A milestone! 
This weekend, as part of my birthday treat, I'm going to Manchester with a friend, we're seeing a play at The Royal Exchange, doing some shopping, some cafe-hopping and I'll see Jack as well. Very much looking forward to all of that. I think most of the country is predicted to have some warm, sunny weather over the next few days. I hope you enjoy it. 


13 comments:

  1. Ooh it all looks very lovely (apart from the exams, that is!) ... I've been summering up my home too, when I have visitors they think I've decorated ... much easier just changing curtains and cushions! xxx Happy belated birthday too! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Claire, yes it's lovely to swap things around and prepare for warmer weather. You're right, small touches make all the difference, my room is lighter and brighter!

      Delete
  2. Lovely flowers & I love your blanket on the sofa. I enjoy brightening the house ready for the summer. GCSE's are a minefield compared to how they used to be. I know my son enjoyed his A'levels far, far more. Best wished for the next couple of months.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful flowers and the quilt fabric is looking divine. Fingers crossed all works out for your son with his GCEs, always a stressful time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, yes I've already had one son go through exams but the stakes seem to have been raised even in two years. We will all be glad when June comes and we can breathe a temporary sigh of relief!

      Delete
  4. Your house is looking very summery and I love the colours of your quilt. Best wishes with the GCSEs. I remember those times a few years ago with our two girls.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I told my son about this post and he remarked calmly that parents get much more stressed about these things than their children. Which may well be true.

      Delete
  5. Loving your green and pink fabrics in your new quilt. Also coveting your 2 lovely pictures above your sofa!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, and well spotted with the pictures! They are huge tapestries of birds and plants. I left a bid at an auction never expecting to get them, and I did. I think they're my favourite things in our house :)

      Delete
  6. I just adore your green vase, your quilt is going to be gorgeous, and I love your crochet covered sofa xx
    Hugs Lynn xxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy belated birthday to you!! What a pretty bouquet of flowers you have on your table! You chose some lovely fabric for your quilt.

    Enjoy the sewing! Happy week,

    Madelief x

    ReplyDelete