My Blog List

Wednesday 10 September 2014

Seasonal pleasures


I've been ticking off tasks on a list that has been sitting around for far too long. Last weekend, we launched an attack on the messy hinterland of our garden. It's here that nettles and brambles abound. We make half hearted attempts to tame it, but we're always defeated and it grows back (our garden backs on to a field so it's hard to stem the tide of nettles). It is amazing how much you can achieve in a day. We also picked up the windfalls, and mowed the grass.



By the afternoon, Perry had had enough so he went to a football match, while I drove some of the green waste to the local dump. While I was throwing it into the skip, I spotted this huge flour bin in an area marked 'please take.' I snatched it up and popped it into the boot of the car. I have never before found anything interesting at the dump, so I felt quite delighted that I'd  made this discovery!



Now on a roll, I picked some blackberries from the field, froze some and made some into crumble with some of the apple harvest. On Sunday, I did something else which I've been promising myself. I  volunteered to help out at the arts festival in Peterborough. I worked in a pop up cafe for a few hours, washing up, serving cakes, coffees and teas. I met some lovely people, heard some live music, and it was a joyful occasion.



Next on my list, I will go to some of the talks, readings and music events that I say I will attend, and never do. The Cafe is in an arts centre, and a lovely garden has been installed there. They had some very pretty yarnbombing going on, and some great ideas for planting.



This yarn bombed peacock hued bike was a picture.



Tomorrow, I'm going to interview a textile artist in Kent for LandScape magazine. I am so looking forward to it. I will report back with a few glimpses of what she does, but I probably can't show too much until the article is printed. Already I feel that I am climbing out of my rut and making lots of new plans.

10 comments:

  1. Good for you, life is too short to be in a rut. I loved the flour bin, lucky you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a lucky find at the dump! And I love the bike!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't it great. It was at Chauffeurs Cottage in Peterborough (behind the town hall).

      Delete
  3. What a lovely lot of apples... great find with the flour bin, lucky you! We have a bike like that in our nearest little town, it's parked outside the wool/craft shop, looks so jolly :o)

    ReplyDelete
  4. your blog is a feast of treats . I love your eye for colour. thank you. hx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like you had a lovely time Fiona! You had quite a harvest of apples. They look really good! The jams sound delicious!

    Happy weekend!

    Madelief x

    ReplyDelete