My Blog List

Sunday 2 December 2012

Little weekend finds


I am absolutely determined to do as little of my Christmas shopping as possible on the high street this year. There are so many bazaars, craft and vintage fairs popping up everywhere that it shouldn't be difficult to achieve. I went to a church bazaar yesterday and found a bunch of these Chinese lanterns. I love the way the orange glows. I walked home along the lanes with them as the light was fading and it was like carrying a torch. They are destined to be decorations.




A friend had a stall at the bazaar and she makes these dolls using old linen that she inherited.



Today, I went to two more small local sales, a vintage and handmade and a Christmas craft fair, all  happening within five miles. It was lovely to see so many different crafts and styles. I could not resist this beautiful tin from the vintage fair:



Or these handmade Christmas cards by Jessica James: 



So, my Christmas shopping is a step further along. I hope all sellers had a good weekend. 

7 comments:

  1. Love the babushka cards!
    Victoria xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aren't they beautiful! She also made bags with the same print.

      Delete
  2. I really like that peacock, great colours! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love to buy handmade or vintage gifts but not everyone I give to appreciates them so I have spent the day with a friend in Brighton trying to find things from the small independent shops. Love your chinese lanterns - my Mother has a huge bunch in her fireplace at the moment. Karen x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Karen,
      Yes, I do agree that not everyone appreciates them and when you have boys to buy for, it's not too easy to find things for them at vintage and handmade fairs (although my two quite like old signs but that's about it). Brighton is a lovely place to go present shopping, I hope you had a good and fruitful day.

      Delete
  4. Like you, I am doing almost all of my Christmas shopping at local Fairs, and of course, the ones I support the most are my Hand-Crafted Home Fairs held at Stanwick Lakes. My last Fair for this year is on Saturday - perhaps if you have a free moment you may pop in?

    I am amazed at the amount of wonderful crafters in our area - I know some people don't get the hand-made thing - but we must keep plugging away - and I think with fairy steps, the message is filtering through.

    I love your Chinese Lanterns - My Mum used to grow them when I was little - and even when that vibrant orange has gone, you get that magical tracery of the veins which lasts for ages. Ruth.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi,
      I'd love to if I can, not sure what is happening this Saturday. I hope your fairs are going well and that you have a successful one this weekend.
      Fiona

      Delete