My Blog List

Thursday 18 April 2013

Spring is springing


I've had a busy week again, but today I took a day away and met my oldest friend for our annual catch up at Kelmarsh Hall. The gardens are trying so hard to burst into life, although there were more buds than flowers. But it was, and always is, very beautiful. 


These Snakehead Fritillaries were out, and they are amazing. I find them a little bit creepy as they really are a bit reptillian. I can't help imagining what they would be like if they were Triffid-sized.




My friend and I are both celebrating our 50ths this year. We met when we were four, and although she moved far away from our village when she was 11, we kept in touch by letter, and often holidayed with each other.
Through the years, we've met up, not always very often, but we just slot into conversation as if we'd just left each other the day before. C had made up a big book for my birthday, containing some of the letters that I had sent her. It was hilarious to read over them. We were really struck by our innocence. At the age of 14 and 15, we were still rattling on to each other about ponies, guinea pigs and Snoopy cartoons. It did feel like looking into another world, but I suppose every generation feels that way. 
Anyway, it was a lovely day. 
Back soon.


6 comments:

  1. These are the best friendships - those who have known us almost all our lives. Mind you new ones are very nice too. Karen xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a wonderful day spent with your friend..very special that you have kept in touch for so long
    Happy Week
    Thea x

    ReplyDelete
  3. How rare it is to have such a long relationship! You must know each other inside and out! Friendships take work. They are like gardens, you have to keep tending to them or they die. You and your friend must be great gardeners! : )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a good way of looking at it. We've always written to each other, even now, we don't email each other, we always put pen to paper.
      I think I appreciate my friends more and more as time goes by, both old ones and new ones.

      Delete
  4. I think good friendship do just slot in, take off where we left them! We were much more innocent, I can't believe how much more aware our children are these days, sad really :) x

    ReplyDelete