My Blog List

Friday 3 January 2014

What took you so long??


Hello again. Happy New Year and I hope you've all had a lovely festive season and a good break.
Christmas started very well here with a lovely party for friends and neighbours and a great Christmas day with my parents and my brother. But then it all started to go a bit Pete Tong...
Our holiday plans were very exciting as Perry had booked a much longed for skiing break for us and some good friends in the Aosta Valley in Italy. I started feeling poorly on the plane as we descended into Turin and it got a lot worse.  Fortunately, I was the non-skiing member of the party, and my only plans had ever been to potter about in the village and turn my face to the Alpine sunshine whilst sipping a lazy cappuccino. 



I did manage to get up for a short time each day,wrapped up against the cold, and I took short walks around Gressoney St Jean, the village where we were staying. It is so beautiful. Even through my wheezing, coughing and spluttering, I could not fail to be moved.



There had been a fresh snowfall, and the whiteness was pristine.



It reminds me of Narnia (or what I think Narnia might be like). In this tiny mountain village, there are no chain shops or supermarkets. Each day I bought a bit of bread and cheese for my lunch, and was amazed to find how even the tiniest corner shop was crammed full of people buying an incredible selection of produce. Focaccias, a huge choice of salamis and hams sliced freshly, round white cheeses, which were slowly and lovingly wrapped in waxed paper and taken to the till. Here is the shop which looks so ordinary:


I didn't go into the centre at night, but the others said it was very pretty and twinkly with the lights and the snow. But I got a glimpse of it by day. Fortunately, everyone else was fine and they had three days of beautiful skiing and hearty mountain food to come home to. We have stayed in our little hotel before when our families were younger, and it is very sweet, welcoming and comfortable (Hotel Gran Baita if anyone is looking for a stopover!).



We've been home for a few days now, and I've now got antibiotics and all sorts of things from the doctor. It will take a while to feel better, but I am getting there. I've been appreciating my warm bed, a stack of good books and Marmite on toast. 

Here's to a happy and healthy 2014!

17 comments:

  1. What a beautiful place, but so sorry you weren't well, what a shame! Hopefully you're of the road to recovery now ... We've had the sniffles but nothing major, thankfully.

    Your photos are amazing, you've really captured the atmosphere perfectly, and it is what I thnk Narnia would belie too!

    Thanks for popping over to Thriftwood earlier, it's always lovely to see you!

    Love Claire xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a shame you felt so rotten on your hols, but I'm sure the fresh wintery air did you good.

    It looks dreamlike, would love to go somewhere like that someday - I think I have all but persuaded DH that for our birthday treats next year (this year we are off to Spain!) that he would like to go to Finland in the Winter. Fingers crossed!

    Helenxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would love to visit Finland, and Iceland too! But Spain is always lovely.

      Delete
  3. Happy 2014, dear Fiona!
    i was thinking of you only recently...
    Ooh sorry you were poorly, i was the same last Christmas and New year and most of January, Last year....But at least is was in my own bed..
    WOW these pictures are picture postcard beautiful....so very enchanting!
    I wish you a 2014 as lovely as you are...
    with hugs....
    Maria x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oops for get to say...keep cosy and get well soon...x

      Delete
    2. Thanks for your lovely words Maria. I hope you have a wonderful 2014 as well xx

      Delete
  4. It looks beautiful! So sorry you were unwell and I hope you get better soon. Happy new year for when you are well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Stunning scenery. Sorry to hear you couldn't make the most of your holiday and hope you get well soon. Happy New Year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Fiona. New Year greetings to you, too :)

      Delete
  6. Replies
    1. Thanks Jacqui, and a Happy New Year to you, too.

      Delete
  7. So sorry you were unwell on your holiday.. hope you're feeling much better now. What stunning photos, snow pictures always look so wonderful and magical.
    Happy New Year to you and yours :o)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for being a regular reader, and New Year Greetings to you too! I'm finally starting to feel like my old self :)

      Delete
  8. Oh its horrible to be ill away from home - so sorry and hope you feel completely well very soon. Your photos are lovely and I expect it was good to see the snow ( I love snow). May 2014 be a year of very good health and creativity for you. Karen xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Karen, yes, it was good to see such beautiful snow. Happy New Year to you and your family too.

      Delete
  9. It looks fantastic, sorry you were I'll, yes here's to a happy healthy 2014! :) xxx

    ReplyDelete