My Blog List

Wednesday 26 November 2014

Here, there and everywhere


It feels as if November has been a very busy month. I've travelled to Brighton, Dorset, Cambridge and the Cotswolds for a combination of work and family commitments. I like nothing better than being on the move and seeing different places. It's been great. Last weekend was really delightful, we drove to Burford, on the edge of the Cotswolds, for my cousin's wedding. We arrived on Saturday lunchtime, checked into a motel and changed into our wedding clothes ready for the 3 o'clock ceremony. The venue was a very old and beautiful pub just off the historic high street. The whole town is so picturesque, it's almost unreal. It was looking especially pretty as the light faded and shop fronts were illuminated.



A real mix of shops: always good to see an independent bookshop thriving.



The sweetest cottages, and enormous price tags on all the houses in town! This is, after all, David Cameron country....



I'd love to come back with  more time to explore. 



Me and the boy in our wedding clothes. I can't say he was wildly enthusiastic about wearing a suit, but once he'd gone off and chosen one himself, and realised that it made him look older than his 16 years, he came round to the idea. 



Twinkly wedding breakfast. It was a lovely occasion, and so nice to catch up with the wider family.





The following morning was rainy and grey, so I didn't take as many photos as I wanted to, but it is somewhere to return to. Meanwhile, here are a few highlights from my other travels:



Broadwindsor, Dorset. A really flying visit but a spectacular day which started with this sunrise....(below)



Cambridge is close to where I live, but I always love visiting and I never tire of even the most touristy sights. I've been going there since I was a young girl and have always found it an intriguing place. Everyone around town always looks as if they are leading incredibly interesting and cerebral lives!



I went to this beautiful shop, Catesbys, for their Christmas preview. There is a small cafe inside, selling the world's best tasting cheese on toast.



I would like pretty much everything in this shop. 



I bought a few of these bowls as Christmas presents, but now I need to persuade myself to part with them...



Also loving that blue and white plate, although I didn't buy it.

So there we have it, a few snapshots from my travels around the English countryside. Thanks for sticking with me if you're still reading. 

9 comments:

  1. That does look a very pretty place to visit and the plates are beautiful - I like the one in the last picture especially.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A lovely place, you do take nice photographs.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a busy and interesting month! We often used to go through Burford on our way to visit my mum near Bath. It was always one our favourite places to stop and what a fab place for a wedding. You and your son look very smart.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you :) It was a great place for a wedding, very atmospheric with the glowing lights.

      Delete
  4. You and your son look beautiful! What a beautiful village to have a wedding. We visited Burford two years ago and liked it very much. It has some lovely houses and shops and beautiful countryside.

    Happy weekend!

    Madelief x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Madelief, thank you! Yes, I loved the houses in Burford, so many different styles, I'd like to go back in the spring or summer, although I am guessing it gets very busy around that time. Happy weekend to you too.

      Delete
  5. How lucky you are to live where you do!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The event could not have gone more smoothly, and from my perspective, less stressfully. I was able to relax, let my hair down, and totally enjoy the party, and felt totally pampered and cared for by the manager at Wedding location in Chicago. The food was excellent, and the floral were gorgeous and reasonably priced.

    ReplyDelete