My Blog List

Monday 17 February 2014

Dresses -Seasalt and more


I know that I do have at least two male readers, so sorry about this, but I am going to talk about dresses.
I am very fond of a dress, especially 1950s styles. I have not had huge success with buying vintage dresses because they are sized very differently to the modern body shape, and although I do know some clever people who can adapt them to fit, I haven't been able to do this. The waists and arms are always very small. So, I am always looking for high street stores who can do a good copy. I have borrowed images from websites for this post.
 To date, the best dress I've found for my budget is by Seasalt. This is their Lottie dress (£55, above). I bought one in pale green floral last year, wore it all the time, and I have ordered the sailing boats version for this summer. I can't recommend it highly enough.




This is the green version, a photo taken on holiday in Devon last year (10 million calories about to be eaten! No wonder I don't fit the 50s dresses ;)) My blue one has already arrived and it's lovely although I won't be wearing it for a few months. 

Below is a subtle beauty from Toast. Out of budget at £129.



 Cos is very severely styled, but I love the simplicity of their designs and you can loosen them up. The only time I've ever stopped someone to ask where their dress was from, it was a Cos dress. I love chambray, too, although I would have to brighten this up.



This was from White Stuff last year. I don't own it, unfortunately, but I think it's a great shape and polka dots are a favourite. If you were handy with a needle, this might be okay to copy.

Here is a Cath Kidston favourite from a couple of years ago:



This was in the days when Cath made tea dresses that weren't aimed at teeny tiny teenagers. It's a really flattering length, on the calf. 



I do own this dress, original 1950s, but it's just for show.
This one is from Boden, £69. They also do a fab spotty 1950s style shirt waist dress, although I'm unable to upload a photo, and I did notice that some colours had sold out already.



When I was at Newark Antiques fair recently, I spotted a raspberry 1940s dress with collar and buttons. I fell in love with the colour. Several people were eyeing it up, and as I was holding it in my hands I had to make a snap decision. There was nowhere to try it on, so I had to take a guess at the size, and for once, it does fit.





So, there is a small dress selection. If you have any recommendations, let me know. 




24 comments:

  1. I do love to wear a nice dress in the summer ... I love the Sea Salt dresses and the Cath K one. I have been lucky enough to find a few originals that I have had altered. M x

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is lucky. The ones I l iike are usually too small. I'll keep hunting!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I bought both the Sea Salt dresses last year and lived in them all summer. I really hope they bring some more out this year in the same style as they are so comfortable and look great. Ann x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ann, yes, I hope they do another print, too...

      Delete
  4. I'm new to Seasalt but have already spotted several favourites to be on their website. Mr K bought me a White Stuff dress for Christmas and I think I wear
    it at least two days a week - I'm definitely a convert. Also treated myself to a gorgeous shirt dress from Nomads recently - a great fifties style print and didn't break the bank https://www.nomadsclothing.com/womenswear/dresses/50s-shirt-dress - great sale on at the moment too! Jane x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jane and Thea, I am going to have a look at the Nomads website as you've both recommended it and Thea's dress was beautiful from there. Thank you both!

      Delete
  5. I love the Seasalt dress with the little boats I can see It is going to look fab on you..that style really suits you,
    Yes I know what you mean about the vintage sizes ..tiny
    As you know I bought a couple of new dresses from Nomads and White Stuff.. I also used to like the classic Joules dresses but they seem to have gone a bit "big blousey florals",I like some of Fat face,and Phase Eight
    Oh its lovely seeing all your pretty dresses,,good luck with your sewing
    Thea xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. They are all beautiful dresses. I am not really a dress person but I did get two CK ones for my birthday last year which I love. I really like the Boden one and I think I may take a look at that!
    The vintage ones have to be tried on. I got a Laura Ashley one a couple of year back and had to adjust it slightly to fit me but it does fit better now I have lost weight.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Anne, I wear jeans a lot, but in summer especially, I do love to wear a dress, especially when they're not too formal like the Sea Salt ones.

      Delete
  7. Ooh I love the sailing boat dress, just the style I like! I have a birthday coming, so might just mosey on to Sea Salt and have a look ... Thanks for the tip, love all the dresses here!

    Love Claire xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Claire, yes, Sea Salt do all sorts of styles, it's worth checking out their website as the new season stuff is coming in now...x

      Delete
  8. I love this sailboat dress and I can see it in my mind with a pair of fun red shoes.
    Great summer dress! You are going to look wonderful in it :)
    Have a happy week.
    Your blogging sister, Connie :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Red shoes sounds good, Connie. Have a lovely week, too.

      Delete
  9. ~ From one dress lover to another! ...LOVE them all...going to have a little peak at Sea salt again...On your recommendations, Fiona....A girl can never have to many!
    Ooh i sooo agree about the Cath Frocks...She's making and designing for pretty young things...and the cut and length are poor...for the price! not to mention style....I wish she would think again about the original tea dresses that we bought and loved....hugs Maria x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hoped you would pop in Maria, as I do share your love of a good dress :)

      Delete
  10. I do love the Seasalt dresses. I usually wear jeans but bought quite a few dresses last year from Tesco's of all places. They are so comfortable and seem to be just the right style and fit for me (plus good value for money). Your original 50's dress looks fab.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wish that I had the answer - fully understand what you mean about old dresses, some very odd shapes about! I kept all my 50s ones (how on earth did they every fit!) and Bronte now wears them.....though they are a little big for her...i'm not jealous.....Yesterday I made a simple pinny from two rectangles of fabric and then ruched the sides - didn't take long and can be worn over jeans if your legs are hairy and the shape of tree trunks like mine! Made from two old curtains so used the hems as 'part of the design'...as if it was all planned...only cost about £1.50!
    Best wishes
    Jenny

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like the sound of the pinny Jenny. I can't remember what my legs look like, it's so long since I saw them without woolly socks and jeans.
      I do have a few of my old vintage clothes left from university days, including a skirt made from a 50s sundress which belonged to my aunt), my mum's old black winkle pickers, and other assorted gems.

      Delete
  12. The sailing ships dress is smiling at me from the side of my wardrobe waiting for sunshine. I love Seasalt and White Stuff and have a very pretty dress from Saltwater from a couple of years back. My favourite is my 'going away' dress from my wedding almost 26 years ago its Laura Ashley and I still wear it sometimes. I love your collection - on the whole we are taller and less curvy than our Mothers/Grandmothers with larger waists so vintage dresses only look good on their hangers - its a shame as some of the fabrics are lovely. Karen xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. You spotted it too, Karen! It's lovely that you wear your 'going away' dress. I still have mine but I haven't tried it on recently.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thank you so much for becoming my latest follower on my blog. Love this post because I really like vintage dresses.With my birthday coming up soon I treated myself on a polka dot dress bought online at I love Vintage (www.ilovevintage.com) a shop based in the Netherlands. And recently I follow a lovely lady on Instagram who sells beautiful vintage dresses for such reasonable prices based in the UK (www.polkadotsandpetticoats.co.uk) I like your green version dress of Seasalt very much.I'm not familiar with this brand but will definitely take a look at their website! Enjoy your weekend, Anita x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Anita, thank you and welcome. I found you through Facebook, I love the photos you put on there! Thanks for the dress recommendations, I will take a look at those websites. Seasalt is definitely worth looking at. I look forward to visiting your blog over the coming months.
      Fiona

      Delete
  15. The Cath K (I love the word frock it's so 50's) one you show was being worn by a girl in a shop in the village last year, it looked so lovely I asked her where it was from and was so disappointed to find it was already a year old. Have just been to this exhibition where there were so beautiful similar dresses www.artfund.org/what-to-see/exhibitions/2014/01/31/artist-textiles-picas...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, yes, I am so glad that I bought that CK dress when I did. I do treasure it! I will follow your link and give myself over to some frock envy!

      Delete