My Blog List

Sunday 21 June 2015

Summer home and away


The rhythm of my days has changed, for a short time at least. I've started working in a magazine office for three days a week for the next couple of months. It's my first time in an office for 20 years, so I am still getting used to the change. I take a packed lunch. I rush out of the house in the mornings looking vaguely presentable, I have set hours and sit at my computer all day without jumping up to put the washing out or nip down to the post office....it's very different. With one son away, and the other now 17 and very independent, it seemed like the right time to take up the offer which was made to me.
I continue to edit the local magazine, so my days are choc a bloc now. But there have been plenty of opportunities to get out and about. We spent a lovely weekend in Norfolk last weekend, and yesterday I went to a traditional village fete in the neighbouring county of Rutland. Actually, to be strictly accurate, the village is in Northamptonshire, a few metres away from the Rutland border (someone kindly pointed this out to me on Twitter :))



This was a proper old fashioned fete with a brass band playing, cream teas, plant and cake stall, books, bric a brac and a Tombola. It was drizzling when I arrived, but the sun soon came out and the cagoules came off. We sat in the sun on a garden bench and ate our scones and drank tea. 



Harringworth is the village, and it is famous for this rather wonderful viaduct.



It is such a rural county. There is no McDonalds in Rutland - or any other fast food chains! I felt as if I had stepped back in time. I soon had some company on my stroll. These ladies had squeezed out of their field and began to follow me. The pied piper of chickens, that's me.



Once they realised I had no food, they lost interest, but they did keep me company for some way!



We also had a great weekend away in Norfolk last week. It was a drizzly couple of days, but again, it was still very beautiful. One day we walked over the salt marshes at Thornham to the beach and on the second we did the same, this time at Burnham Overy Staithe. There were so many wildflowers, and so many birds. My Dad was with us and was able to tell us the names of everything we saw. These included a Spoonbill, Egret and Avocet. 



While Dad was spotting birds, I was fascinated by this bank of wildflowers. The others left us way behind! I even spotted some wild lupins.



It's such a dramatic landscape, like nowhere else.



Loved this little boat.
And this red one...



We walked miles. 

And blew the cobwebs away....

10 comments:

  1. I love the idea of a good old fashioned fete I haven't been to one of those in a long while. You certainly took us on a extremely beautiful stroll.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for the virtual stroll. Your paining is gorgeous
    Julie xxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Replies
    1. Hi Julie, thanks for your positive comments about my paintings. Much appreciated!

      Delete
  4. I love a traditional fete. Scones and tea eaten outside - perfect! That part of Norfolk is beautiful isn't it and such a pretty bank of wildflowers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, aren't we lucky to live so nearby! It always amazes me that in just over an hour I can be by the sea!

      Delete
  5. Hi Fiona,

    I can imagine what a great difference working in an office must be from doing all your work at home. It will take some time to get used too, but I find it has many advantages. To have colleagues is one of them. You made some beautiful photo's of your trip to Norfolk. The seaside and wild flowers look beautiful!

    Thank you too for your sweet comment on my blog and for sharing your thoughts with me! I enjoy your blog very much too. Your writing is an example to me and the subjects on your photo's are right up my sleeve :-)

    Have a good week!

    Madelief x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good luck with your new job. Lovely pictures, the flower bank is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete