My Blog List

Sunday 23 June 2013

Dream gardens


I may sometimes wish I lived in a country with warmer and more settled climes, but when ever I see an English country garden in its summer finest, I am not sure that I could really settle anywhere else. Today was like stepping into one of those embroidered pictures from the 1930s. Open gardens in a nearby village called Tansor was a riot of colours: lupins, delphiniums, geraniums, roses scrambling over sheds and windows, neat vegetable gardens with perfect pods of peas, strawberries on thick straw beds and runner beans climbing up canes. 


Eight gardens of all shapes and sizes, from the stately home sized Tansor Court, to tiny cottage gardens crammed with colour.


Paths and plots, wildflower gardens and limestone walls.


Roses battered by the elements, tattered but beautiful.

Peonies.


Many of the houses overlook open countryside, or the river Nene


This is so typical of where I live, willows, reeds, riverside:


I love flowers, but also find orderly veg plots quite fascinating these days (age!). I would love to make a lino cut print of these pea pods.



All rounded off with a cream tea with homemade scones and strawberry jam in the village hall (which even had a few vintage stalls too). My companions Perry and Sue were very patient with a) a lot of photo taking and b) my urge to visit the vintage before we'd finished touring the gardens.

14 comments:

  1. Beautiful photos and I'm very envious of those splendid looking pea plants.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! It was as if slugs did not exist in this village!

      Delete
  2. It's just lovely! We really do live in a beautiful country...just wish the sun shone more! :) x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely pictures. We seem to have nothing but rain and wind down here and its taking its toll on the flowers but the garden is very green. Flowers, scones and vintage what a perfect day! Karen xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Karen
      It has been very blustery and showery here as well, we just seemed to get a little window of reasonably calm weather yesterday, although we had to rush inside with our cream teas when the rain came! It was really lovely just to switch off and wander through the gardens though.

      Delete
  4. Beautiful...I can smell the roses from here! kite flying weather for us am afraid...Hugs Maria x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello, I'm a new follower.
    What gorgeous gardens you visited.
    Julie :o)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Julie,
    Thanks so much for following, welcome.
    Yes, they were lovely gardens. I often drive through this village and long to have a peek behind the garden gates, so it was lovely to be given the chance.
    Fiona x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Such beauty ~ In an English Country Garden ~ Sarah x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely photos of your open gardens visit. We visited some at the weekend too and such an insight to other people's ideas. Posting soon.
    Patricia x

    ReplyDelete
  9. You've taken such lovely photos, which just go to prove, why would anyone want to spend Summer anywhere other than here? even though we haven't had much sunshine this year, the wind has blown all the petals from the roses and I've had to water the garden through lack of rain when needed, your day out sums up the perfect day for me especially with some vintage thrown in!♥

    ReplyDelete
  10. Such a pretty garden, full of delights
    Thea x

    ReplyDelete