My Blog List

Sunday 28 July 2013

Holidaying at home


The fine weather is still hanging around, the football season does not start for another two weeks, so we decided to go out for an afternoon and make the most of summer. We came to Lyveden New Bield, a National Trust property which is close to our home. It's a very intriguing place, a half finished garden lodge built by Sir Thomas Tresham between 1595 and 1605.


It has a mystical air about it, the wind blowing through the open windows and roof. The NT have replanted an orchard that Thomas Tresham oversaw (they even found the original holes where the trees were sited 400 years ago) with traditional breeds of gages, apples, plums and cherries. 

There are features from the pleasure garden which Tresham planned, with terraces, moats and viewing mounts. Inside the house, I loved the graffiti from the past....



Near the house is a little cottage, and this has recently been turned into a tea room.


It's very pretty. The surrounds of the house are open and it can get breezy, so this secluded garden is the perfect shelter.


Very inviting...


There go my family, disappearing inside to claim their tea and cake...we sat under a tree to eat it and it was lovely to feel that hot sunshine.


Back home,and I've been picking redcurrants (this has felt like a very summery summer). I don't know what I will do with these berries yet, I've put them in the freezer for now, but they are so very pretty. I painted a picture of them last night, but it didn't come out well, so a photo will have to do for now.


Like little jewels, aren't they?
Hope you all had a lovely weekend. x

9 comments:

  1. What a lovely day out! We went to Lyveden New Bield a couple of years ago. A very intriguing place! I don't think the tea room was there then. Must go again!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I what a wonderful place, I'm a big fan of the NT, our family ticket came through a couple of weeks ago so lots of visits are being planned! :) x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah yes, we Midlands folk are well placed for a lot of NT properties and they do make a grand day out :)

      Delete
  3. How lovely and charming and if I may add so very English! My kind of family trip out..Summer has just been wonderfully kind to us all...Big hugs Maria x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Maria. Hope you're enjoying your break.

      Delete
  4. What a beautiful blue sky day. ~ Sarah x

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a lovely way to spend a sunny afternoon
    Thea xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. We love the National Trust too - I have been a member since birth as my parents joined when they first married. That is a lovely cottage - perfect for a tearooms. Hope the weather lasts for more days out with your family. Karen xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Everything based on the activity level in touring needs to be going with holidaying because travel has an impact in it fort lauderdale shuttle bus provides me maximum input.

    ReplyDelete