My Blog List

Sunday 2 March 2014

Sunday morning cushion


A few weeks ago I went on a sewing course.  It was a basic course, designed as an introduction to dress making and I had been invited along so I could write about it for the local magazine I work for. Our teacher started right from the beginning, showing us how not to be afraid of using a sewing machine and offering some simple but really useful tips. They are probably just common sense to most people, but I need to be told! I have been waiting for an opportunity to practice what she said, and this morning, I had a few hours to myself. I decided to make a patchwork cushion, by machine. It was a practice project, as much as anything.  



I used some scraps of fabric to make a front cover for my cushion, measuring 47cm square. I then used an old candy striped tablecloth from Oxfam to make the envelope backing, two pieces 47 x 31cm. I tried to work more methodically and neatly, finishing off properly, but my natural urge is always to bodge something together any old how. Still, at least my tension was correct for a change!



The cushion was soon finished, and now sits on the old pink Lloyd Loom chair that belonged to my Gran.
I shall be returning to work on my big patchwork quilt on March 11th, when I shall hopefully be getting some help with attaching the backing and finishing off. 

One thing I did yesterday was go to the village table top sale, where I found a lovely old clay pot with a lid for 50p (pictured far left). It has a local tradesman's name written on it.  It's my first sale of the new season so I was pleased to find something. I've used it in my new header!


16 comments:

  1. That is an amazing first attempt. It looks really at home in that lovely chair. Well done you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your cushion cover is lovely...I always struggle with the tension too. Well done on your recent find, a bargain for 50p and it looks great in your new header. I need to make a new one for my blog but that's another thing I struggle with!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Fiona, thank you. The design function seems to have got a bit easier recently, I can't do anything very different, like multiple images or montages, but for just one image and a nice choice of typeface, it was quite straightforward.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely fabrics in your cushion - I expect it will be the first of many as its a perfect way to use scraps of beautiful old material. I am looking forward to seeing your quilt too. I have never attempted anything that large.

    ReplyDelete
  5. HI Karen, the size of my quilt is a bit daunting, but another good thing about the sewing group, as well as all the help and advice, is that there are some huge tables in the village hall, so I can lay it out and work on it more easily. Not sure I would do a double quilt again!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the patchwork cushion. A perfect companion to your lovely chair.
    Jacqui

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks Jacqui. I love the chair, too, I always remember it being in my gran's bedroom.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love your pretty cushion ..and nice new header too!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your lovely cushion looks so at home on your pretty chair. You must be chuffed! What a great bargain find your pot was. Looks lovely on your new header alongside your other pots. Good luck with your patchwork quilt. I have just started my first one but only got as far as cutting and pinning so far.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Such patience with your cushion... I admire people who can painstakingly cut out any patchwork. I don't have the concentration. I often look at old hexagonal quilts and wonder how long it took to make.
    Julie x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Julie, yes, I have new admiration for the hexy quilt makers too. And they sewed without electric lights!

      Delete
  11. ~ Ooh how lovely...I like the very sound of making a pretty dress or two! ~ Beautiful patch work ..always adds a touch of nostalgia ......I'm smiling too as I have the very same charming chair.....
    Hoping the sun is shining on your week, dear Fiona...
    Hugs Maria x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Maria, I think the day of the home made dress may be some way off, but a skirt might be possible some time. For now, I shall stick to patching, as it's simple and straightforward. Pleased to hear you have a pink Lloyd Loom. Mine has been with me for a lot of years now :) Have a lovely week, too. Spring is in the air xx

      Delete