My Blog List

Tuesday 29 March 2011

Preparing for a sale - or not!

I am, as you may have gathered, a rather enthusiastic buyer of vintage items. I try to be very sensible, but inevitably, I can't fit everything into my house. Every year, I do a sale in a nearby village on the first May Bank Holiday weekend, collecting together the things that I've been promising myself I will do up/recover or repaint. It gives me a deadline to aim for, and I really enjoy preparing everything. I have mixed fortunes at this sale. Some people love my things - others really don't. I once overheard someone whispering loudly: "it's just like a charity shop, only twice as expensive!"

Anyway, I have started to get things ready. But it's difficult. I am in the process of recovering this little blue ottoman, but the problem is, I have fallen in love with it all over again, and I'm not sure that I can part with it.
Then there is this tin trunk. I painted it in pale grey, and then decided that it would make a perfect 13th birthday present for a young friend who loves vintage things....so that won't be going to the sale, either.
So far, I have managed to fix up a mirror, a chair and some garden planters, but I had to move them out of sight pretty sharpish so I don't form another emotional attachment. A work box full of wooden cotton reels is in the 'possibles' pile.
If anyone is interested, the sale will take place in the pretty village of Elton, near Peterborough, on Monday May 2nd, 1pm -5pm. Last year, it was rainy, so I took our huge family tent and pitched that on the village green. I will be going ahead come rain or shine.

No comments:

Post a Comment