My Blog List

Wednesday 29 February 2012

A visit to Persephone Books



When I was in London last week, I went to my favourite bookshop, Persephone Books. It is in the delightfully named Lambs Conduit Street, WC1. It's a small shop, but the shelves are packed with pearl grey paperbacks, all of which are reprints of neglected novels, diaries, poetry and cookery books, mostly by women from the early to mid 20th century. My favourite so far is High Wages by Dorothy Whipple, the story of an independent young woman who sets up her own dress shop.




What I most love about the book design is the fact that they are lined with patterned endpapers, the designs taken from vintage textiles.




You can buy postcards, and even some reproduction fabrics, inspired by old designs. Or, help yourself to a free magazine (below).



The shop is at 59 Lambs Conduit Street, London WC1N 3NB or visit www.persephonebooks.co.uk to see the catalogue. 
PS Welcome to my new followers!

3 comments:

  1. Ooh it looks divine. I love book shops but this one certainly has the edge on most!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a lovely shop and the colours make it very special. Julie xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. They have done so much with a tiny space. Inside, they have a very battered old armchair covered with a fraying, faded country house chintz - it's gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete