My Blog List

Tuesday 22 January 2013

Brighten my day


Lean pickings from our local charity shops recently, but I did find these tea towels in Primark today. They are a bit garish, and of course I prefer vintage, but I liked the bird motif, and the towel that has a bobble trim.


The small retailers in our area are struggling at the moment. As I'm the editor of a local magazine, I'm talking to them all the time, and I know just how tough it is. The snow isn't helping either (unless you are the purveyor of thermal vests). I do support the little businesses as much as I can, through the magazine, and also by shopping with them. But when you walk into somewhere like Primark, it does make your heart sink for the future of the independent shopkeeper. I salved my conscience for my small textile haul with a visit to the family butcher and a thorough scan of the charity shops. I chanced upon a very pretty cake stand.


It's a two tier one, and although I'm not usually keen on gilt edged china, I do love a strawberry print, and it made me think of summer.



Cold weather wear: forget your Gore-Tex and fleece, I swear by a long, Oxfam tweed overcoat and furry boots to keep me warm. But it struck me today, as I caught sight of myself in a shop window, that whereas I looked quite presentable in out sized wool and Dr Martens when I was in my twenties, I am now starting to resemble a very eccentric old bird ;)

11 comments:

  1. Your new cakestand is very pretty. It must be so difficult for small retailers to compete with the giants. Many small shops are closing here too.
    Liz @ Shortbread & Ginger

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely tea towels, probably less than £2, how could you resist? I feel sorry for small shops too, but everyone's feeling the pinch nowadays and we need to save money were we can. I try to support local shops too, I suppose every little helps, although that isn't a slogan squally associated with them!

    Love Claire xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. The tea towels were £1 each, which says it all really. You're right, we are all feeling the pinch, which is why it is all so tricky. But then again, when I was last in Brighton, I saw lots of little shops which seemed to be thriving, so it may depend on where you live.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love that cake stand - this something I must look for too. I also love the pom pom edging.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Quite difficult to find a cake stand that is affordable now. I was lucky with this one, which was £3.99, and it is porcelain.

      Delete
  5. Nothing wrong with Eccentric Old Birds! :) x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello:
    It was with great sadness that only yesterday a small local stationery shop here in Budapest closed. Straight from the 1950s, we absolutely loved this shop where everything one could obtain from such a shop in England stopped being available a decade ago. So, closures are worldwide we fear and small businesses the world over need all the support we can give at present if all our high streets are not to be identical!

    Your cake stand is so very pretty. Thoughts of scones and strawberry jam come to mind!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is sad about the stationery shop. I tend to think of this as a UK problem, but of course, the recession is widespread.

      Delete
  7. Lovely things and I agree with your conscience about buying locally - I hang on to my milkman for the very same reason. Milkmen were essential where I grew up - without them it just not have been possible to have fresh bread and milk. Our local high street is a real mixed bag and that is exactly what I love about it - Sainsburys have just muscled their way in and I am sure that will mean the closure of the little bread shop eventually.
    Keep going!
    Best wishes
    Jenny

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I still have a milk delivery, too, although I think we are the only people in our road who do. It's slightly more expensive but so convenient, and I love the fact that the bottles are constantly recycled. I will keep going, definitely!

      Delete
  8. You are right about Brighton - it has lots of thriving independent shops. There is a good article about this in the current Mollie Makes. We have a wonderful vintage shop in town and a few other owner run ones and I think the south coast is not suffering as much as other areas. Cannot imagine you look either old or eccentric! Karen xx

    ReplyDelete