My Blog List

Sunday 13 January 2013

Kitchen tales






Marmalade making took place yesterday afternoon. There are no short cuts with marmalade, no gadget that can really cut down on the amount of chopping, skinning and de-pipping that is required, so although it is fiddly, I also find the methodical rhythm of it relaxing. A play on Radio 4, and a quiet house and I was in my element.




I recently interviewed a marmalade making expert for an article. She told me that the Victorians sometimes put rhubarb in their recipe, so as well as oranges and a lemon, I added a small tray of home grown rhubarb that has been languishing in the freezer for longer than it probably should. I spotted this beautiful leaflet in Oxfam on Friday, so I was armed with tips and tricks for a really good batch.


That citrus smell, tangy and a little bit peppery, as the peels are boiling away to soften, is just amazing. My marmalade guru told me that citrus oils are great for alleviating depression. There's no doubt that it is an uplifting aroma and the colour alone is enough to make you want to dance. In terms of thriftiness, this works out at 65p per jar. 
Eight jars labelled and put away (and a big dish of it to eat now). 
I am on a gluten free diet again just now, so my next challenge is to find a recipe for a really delicious loaf to smother with butter and home made marmalade.




Happy Sunday.





9 comments:

  1. A visual feast and I feel I can smell it from here!

    Lovely ...

    Claire xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such sunny colours. I love marmalade!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My Big Sis made me some delicious orange and some lemon maramaldes for Christmas, they are so yummy! :) x

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's a great gift, because it is a bit of a hassle to make, although once a year is just fine.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am the only one in our family who likes marmalade so I never make it but my Mum used to and the smell was wonderful. I have a gluten free bread recipe if you haven't found one yet. Karen x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would like the recipe, please Karen. The best I've found so far is one by Dan Lepard, but it is a bit solid, although a reasonably good flavour. The bought loaves taste horrible, although I must say that Livewell crumpets are quite nice!

      Delete
  6. I have never made any jams or preserves but this post has inspired me to try. I just love marmalade and your pictures and description are wonderful. A lovely cheery post for a cold January day! Also, I'm a bit in love with those old tins in the pic at the bottom... great find.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello,
      It is a lovely thing to do, once you've got over the initial fiddliness, I'm sure you'll really enjoy it.
      Fiona

      Delete