My Blog List

Sunday 16 October 2011

Sunday specials

As I was pegging out the washing this morning, on a completely still, sunny and beautiful morning, I realised my feet were crunching on the grass. Looking down, I found that our walnut tree has rained down its fruit, which has conveniently come out of the green surround, leaving a carpet of perfect, pale brown walnuts strewn across the lawn. I can't remember this happening before, or if it does, the squirrels usually beat me to the harvest.
I scurried inside and collected a huge basketful of nuts in about half an hour. They will keep quite happily - we've had some on Christmas day before now. I was inspired by a lovely article in today's Sunday Telegraph, by my favourite columnist Francine Raymond. She has so many suggestions for autumnal decorations and collecting things to store for the season.

This is a beautiful idea (above) from her column. I'm going to collect teasels tomorrow although the weather is set to turn.
Meanwhile, I am still on the road to recovery. I'm following a gluten-free diet for a while and I came up with this cake for Sunday tea. Lime and Coconut Drizzle cake. It's a Hugh Fearnley Whittingstall recipe and it is unbelievably good.



I shall be blogging regularly again next week. I had to get the magazine ready for press last week, so it was a very busy few days.  

1 comment:

  1. I love the basket of walnut's, the photo just shouts out autumn to me. And your cake looks so delicious.
    I found your blog whilst hopping around blog land it looks so inviting I'll be popping back again to read a few more post.
    Hope you have a good week.

    ReplyDelete