My Blog List

Sunday 29 January 2012

Mmm..marmalade



I did not realise how fiddly it is to make marmalade, but when I spotted these Seville oranges on the market, I could not resist. I was determined that they wouldn't sit in the fridge for weeks, and then make their way to the compost heap, so I got to work yesterday afternoon...




After a lengthy shredding, juicing and de-pipping process, they bubbled away on the cooker for about two hours filling the house with the most glorious scent (I love citrus smells). Then, I just had to add sugar and boil hard for about 20 minutes. I thought it wasn't going to set, but sure enough, that magic alchemy happened, and I was soon ready for potting up.


And a little bit left over for this jar....





It reminds me of one of my favourite children's books, The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe, when the children have tea with the Beaver family. Mrs Beaver makes....


Sticky marmalade roll...this was my favourite bit to read when I was a child. I love the illustration that goes with it, too:






January is good for something, after all!

1 comment:

  1. Thanks Patricia, that's very kind! So glad you are enjoying it. x

    ReplyDelete