My Blog List

Wednesday 20 June 2012

A secret garden



 A beautiful garden is balm to the soul, and if you can enjoy it on a warm summer's day, when the air is heavy with the scent of roses and sweetpeas, so much the better. This is Easton Walled Gardens, near Grantham, Lincolnshire. It was a press day, and a real privilege to be invited to see the midsummer magic....




Gorgeous borders. 




Fragrant David Austin roses, I love these old fashioned pink ones, they remind me of my childhood.
I resisted the urge to buy a rose, though, as I know I would only kill it. The David Austin man gave a talk on caring for roses and he made it sound easy, maybe one day I will try again....




Hard to believe that in 1999, the garden was derelict. The Cholmeley family have restored it, and now it is open to visitors (www.eastonwalledgardens.co.uk).




We were so lucky to have this little chink of brightness today, eating lunch outside with bare legs and wearing a summer dress and not being freezing! Well, I appreciated every single moment of it.




 Lovely lettuces in orderly rows ...







3 comments:

  1. That beautiful rose took me back to my childhood too as my Father used to grow them. I could almost smell its fragrance. Sounds like you had a lovely day. Karen X

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gorgeous! Difficult to believe that it was once derelict! Just shows what a lot of hard work and dedication can achieve.
    Liz @ Shortbread & Ginger

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it's amazing. They also said they had to do it on a shoestring. I am so glad we got to see it in sunshine, it's hammering with rain here today!

      Delete